The Italian Chapel was built during WWII on the small isle of Lamb Holm, located on the edge of Scapa Flow in Orkney. The chapel was built by Italian prisoners of war captured in North Africa and put to work on the Churchill Barriers. Using limited materials available to them, the prisoners joined two Nissen Huts end to end to make the chapel. They created a facade out of concrete, concealing the shape of the hut and making the building look like a church. The light holders were made out of corned beef tins. The baptismal font was made from the inside of a car exhaust covered in a layer of concrete. Much of the artistic work was done by Domenico Chiocchetti from Moena who returned to finish his work after the war ended.
Hebrides :: Isle of Eigg
Isle of Eigg, Inner Hebrides, September 2011
Orkney :: Island of Hoy
Who will mark the grave of poor Betty Corrigall? The Old Man of Hoy?
Iceland :: Reykjanes
Images from Krýsuvik, Seltún Geothermal Fields, Kleifarvatn, Sveifluháls and Svartsengi Geothermal Power Station.
England :: Lyveden New Bield
Begun by Sir Thomas Tresham to symbolise his Catholic faith, Lyveden remains incomplete and virtually unaltered since work stopped on his death in 1605.
And Also the Trees
A short history of music
Isle of Skye :: Road to the Cuillins
On the Dunvegan Road toward Sligachan and the Cuillins
Norway :: The Bergen Railway
Taken through the double-glazed windows of a moving train on the Oslo to Bergen Railway
Vietnam :: Heaven's Gate
North-West Vietnam, Tram Ton Pass near Sa Pa
Cambridge :: The Backs
The Backs, Cambridge